Written by Sarah Bladen
Stephanie Winnard is a person on a mission. Simply put, that mission is to end the accidental killing of tens of thousands of albatrosses every year in the fishing industry.
Populations of the endangered Gurney’s pitta (Hydrornis gurneyi) have declined by a staggering 70% in just 13 years. This rapid population plummet is a result of habitat loss. Following a relatively recent e […]
Written by Margaret Sessa-Hawkins and Fiona Dobson
Reading about the environment can sometimes seem like a depressing litany of fading species, increased development, and a warming planet. But there are reasons […]
Written by Jessica Law
It’s not just elusive species on remote, far-flung islands. These are birds you may have come across countless times in your day-to-day life, or birds whose image is so famous and i […]
By Margaret Sessa-Hawkins
Mountain gorillas are critically endangered no more.
According to the latest release of the International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN) Red List of Threatened Species, the […]
By Jessica Law
A vulture rides the thermals a thousand meters above the ground, the savanna laid out before her in a vast, emerald patchwork. Her soaring may look serene, but her eyes are constantly trained on […]
Written by Alex Dale
In the 2011 animated film Rio, Blu, a captive-raised Spix’s Macaw, arrives in Brazil to mate with the last-known wild member of his species, a female named Jewel. But according to B […]
- Birth Control for Pigeons Manages Urban Populations Humanely
- Rescued Dog Demonstrates the Power of Love
- Keeping Pets and People Together: Partnership Makes More Domestic Violence Shelters Pet Friendly
- What’s Inside Your Pet’s Bowl?
- Does Trophy Hunting in South Africa Really Benefit Conservation and Local Communities?
- An Indian Conservation Success Built on a Unique, Ancestral Relationship Between Humans and Tigers
- Racing Greyhounds Exported to China May Meet Horrendous Fates
- To Solve Pollinator Health Crisis, State Governments are Key, Study Finds
- Omid the Miracle Dog
- Pangolins in Peril
- Another Perspective on Fish, Part Three: Why and How Should We End Fishing?
- Brown University Medical School’s Lethal Animal Use Violates Federal Law