Animal People, Inc. posted an update 4 months, 1 week ago
“Circuses have evolved through several stages since Astley first measured out his 42ft-ring in 1768. In his lifetime there were no animals in circuses; that came later, a couple of years after his death, when American animal trainer Isaac A Van Amburgh married up the idea of the travelling menagerie – portable zoos, basically – with what was on offer at the circuses, and introduced big cats and elephants. In a way, circuses have come full circle as animal acts have fallen out of favour these days. Many circuses are human-performers only; some, like Philip Astley, offer equestrian acts alongside the clowns and acrobats.”
- Croatia’s biggest ever dog protection campaign now underway!
- A Massive Rally in China for Punishing Animal Abusers
- Leopard tortoises languishing in South African rehab centres
- Irish Hare at risk of extinction from hunting and coursing
- Why Your Family Dog is Good for Your Children’s Health
- Bison Against Climate Change
- Alligators on the beach? Killer whales in rivers? Get used to it.
- Wild Animals Are Not Plush Toys
- FIAPO calls for legal animal personhood in India
- CANADA: A Protest Poem
- Cruel massacre of dogs by Penang Town Council
- 9 Tips to Shop Animal-Free