Animal People, Inc. posted an update 1 week, 4 days ago
“Circuses have evolved through several stages since Astley first measured out his 42ft-ring in 1768. In his lifetime there were no animals in circuses; that came later, a couple of years after his death, when American animal trainer Isaac A Van Amburgh married up the idea of the travelling menagerie – portable zoos, basically – with what was on offer at the circuses, and introduced big cats and elephants. In a way, circuses have come full circle as animal acts have fallen out of favour these days. Many circuses are human-performers only; some, like Philip Astley, offer equestrian acts alongside the clowns and acrobats.”
- Domestic Violence Survivors and their Pets Can Seek Safety Together
- Aadhaar and Jallikattu: Bittersweet Victory for Bulls in India
- Electrocution of Elephant Should Not Be Taken Lightly
- WORLD NEWS: Pope on Circuses, Animal Rights in Pakistan, and More! (1/17/18)
- The Future of Fashion is Animal-Free
- Three Indian States Compelled to #EndExploitativeDairies!
- How Awareness Leads to Action for Animals
- Palm Oil and Animal Rights: How you can combat the destruction of wild animals’ habitat
- Pennsylvania Residents Warned Against Leaving Dogs in the Cold
- POETRY: Saying ‘Hello’ to a Sheep
- Protest Breaking Up Walrus Mom and Her Pups!
- Animal Rescue Team Assaulted in Name of ‘Cow Protection’